Do you want to help communities recover from disasters while working in a dynamic environment for a growing consulting firm? Hagerty Consulting, Inc., a nationally recognized, comprehensive homeland security and emergency management consulting firm focused on helping clients prepare for and recover from disasters, has immediate needs for talented professionals.
Hazard Mitigation Specialist candidates should possess experience with FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) programs and understand the principles of hazard mitigation and disaster risk reduction.
Candidates with varied levels of experience are encouraged to apply. At a minimum all candidates should possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in in a pertinent field, with a minimum of five-years of experience. Candidates must possess the ability to be flexible in a dynamic environment and outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
Ideal candidates should have some combination of:
- Understanding of, and experience working with, FEMA’s HMA programs, including the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA), and Pre-Disaster Mitigation;
- Experience developing and/or reviewing HMA applications;
- Experience implementing HMA-funded projects;
- Proficiency conducting FEMA’s Benefit Cost Analysis (BCA) for hazard mitigation projects or proposals (preferred but not required).
This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits. Must be eligible to work in the United States uninterruptedly and successfully complete a background and criminal history check.
Candidates applying at this time will be considered for a variety of openings nationwide. Travel/relocation packages may be available.
The candidate will participate in and/or lead project initiatives for federal, state and/or local clients related to Hazard Mitigation. Work may include, but is not limited to: program management, development and/or review of federal grant applications, program monitoring, review and improvement of plans, documents, manuals, policies, and procedures.
Diverse backgrounds will be considered. The candidate should expect limited supervision and must be comfortable working with or managing teams, and interacting directly with clients, and teaming partners.
- Bachelors and five years’ experience in a related field;
- Three years’ experience working with FEMA Hazard Mitigation Assistance programs;
- Willingness to travel to project sites and work in a demanding disaster recovery environment;
- Experience effectively working with or managing a team;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills to produce technically and programmatically sound deliverables with little oversight (writing sample is pre-requisite);
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite products to self-produce materials; and
- Ability to be calm and poised under pressure, effectively deliver multiple projects with overlapping timeframes, and remain focused when working under tight deadlines.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE IN ADDITION TO ABOVE:
- Consulting experience in the public, private, or non-profit sector;
- Experience managing projects of various sizes, to include developing a project plan, managing a team, creating and managing project budgets, and presenting deliverables to a client;
- Experience conducting Benefit Cost Analysis (BCA) for hazard mitigation projects;
- Experience developing or reviewing Section 406 Mitigation projects;
- Experience developing hazard mitigation plans;
- Proven ability to conduct polished business development, provide excellent customer service, and maintain client/professional relationships/partnerships;
- Relevant certifications, including Certified Floodplain Manager or Certified Emergency Manager;
- Master’s Degree pertinent to emergency management, homeland security, public administration, business administration, civil or environmental engineering, or similar field.
Equal Opportunity Employment: Hagerty Consulting, Inc. is fully committed to a strong equal opportunity program. As such, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, age, or disability. Hagerty Consulting, Inc. does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.